GeoVid Recorder: Android App
This page describes technical details of our GeoVid georeferenced video application running on Android-based mobile phones.
The purpose of this Android application is to provide easy video recording annotated with location meta-data and to allow uploading of this information to our georeferenced video search services.
- Record geo-referenced videos with DVD-quality (640 x 480, 3 Mbps) video resolution.
- Display the GPS trajectory of a recorded video with color-coded GPS accuracy info.
- Upload recorded videos to our search server (http://geovid.org), where users can submit geo-referenced queries (such as range, directional and surround queries) and display videos via newly designed web interface.
- Segment a DASH-compliant video during video uploading, which makes the video quickly visible to the public, typically less than 10 seconds soon after the user requests a video uploading. More detailed technology behind this is covered in our recent ACM MMsys 2012 publication.
- Automated upload failure recovery.
INSTALLATION and USER GUIDE
See more here
Currently, we do not implement any authentication mechanism as to whether contents are uploaded by a valid user. For user identification, we plan to use the "OpenID" approach, using a social media account such as Twitter or Facebook. For full user privacy protection, we will use "OAuth", where our application does not store any privacy-sensitive information such as a user's password.
We are also working on support for a real-time, low-bandwidth uploading service, where a user can upload meta-data instantly during video recording while submitting the actual video content later.
- segment-based uploading
splitting a video into a number of smaller self-playable video segments (3-second, 5-second, 10-second)
- support Apple HTTP Live Streaming (HTTP) protocol - version 3
- support conventional HTTP progressive streaming (for non-iOS devices)
- support GeoVid metadata JSON representation version 1.1
- system time fix (if satellite GPS signal available)
- support flexible sensor data acquisitions
- UI changes
- show digital compass
- gridview-based video list layout
- animated GPS trajectory during video playback
- segment-based uploading
- chunk-based uploading (splitting videos into small-sized video chunks)
- background uploading
- records all sensor values
accelerometer, magnetic field, computed compass, light level, GPS signals, and WiFi fingerprints
We may provide some of the format specifications and APIs at a later point in time, if there is community interest for this.
The GeoVid Android app is maintained by Dr. Beomjoo Seo. If you have questions, feedback, or suggestions, please drop me an email (see the Contact Us page).